Jun 24, 2014
Consumers are increasingly eschewing traditional marketing channels. Instead of watching TV commercials, they fast forward with their DVR – or watch their TV shows through online services like Hulu and Netflix. Instead of listening to radio commercials, consumers stream their music through Pandora and Spotify.
All in all, consumers no longer want to be “marketed” to. They eschew traditional push marketing techniques. So what’s a marketer to do? Provide valuable, actionable, relevant information that doesn’t “sell”, but rather invites the consumer to learn more about your product or service. In other words, content marketing. And while digital media provide effective outlets for content marketing, direct mail does too – after all, there’s nothing that says value quite like a printed mailer.
While many people are shifting to this form of marketing, it’s still shrouded in some mystery. So we’ve gathered some fun facts about content marketing, how it’s used, and where it came from. Enjoy!
5 fun facts about content marketing
1. According to Kapost.com, 70% of consumers say content marketing makes them feel closer to the sponsoring company. 68% of consumers spend time reading content from a brand they are interested in. 60% of consumers feel more positive about a company after reading custom content on its site.
2. Marketers, on average, spend over a quarter of their budget on content marketing, according to B2B Marketing Insider.
3. Heard the phrase “Content is King?” It was the title of a 1996 essay by Bill Gates in which the Microsoft founder opined on the future of advertising (read it here).
4. In 2013, 62% of companies outsourced their content marketing – up 7% from 2012, according to Mashable.
5. According to the Custom Content Council, businesses spent nearly $44 billion on content marketing in 2012.
To learn more about content marketing through direct mail marketing check out the Click2Mail blog for great content, visit us at Click2Mail.com or call us Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm EST at 866-665-2787.