Aug 01, 2017
It’s no secret that people love postcards. That’s why we’re reviving and refreshing our four-part postcard series with updated statistics that are relevant to both experienced mailing pros and novice beginners who are still trying to decide on a mailpiece format. As always, if you have any questions about this article or anything else Click2Mail-related, give us a call at 866-665-2787 or drop us a line at email@example.com.
Why does everyone love postcards?
1. Most cost effective. Postcards are the least expensive way to send direct mail. Offering lower production costs and the least expensive first class postage on the rate chart, postcards cost less than letters or flyers. Postcard mailings are within reach of every marketing budget.
If you’re just dipping your toes in the water, we’ve got a product that’s perfect to get you started. We call it the Same-as-a-Stamp Postcard. It’s a 3.5” x 5” black and white postcard. Printing and postage for these cards are the exact same price as a first class postcard stamp!
If you’re looking for something larger or more colorful, we’ve got that, too.
2. Easiest to create. Because of their compact page size, postcards are the easiest mailpiece to design. You can use any design software you want or start with one of our preformatted templates. Online design tool Canva.com has an easy to use drag and drop interface that our Customer Support team loves to use when helping clients with their postcards. As long as you can pre-size your document workspace to match the dimensions and specifications of the postcard you’re sending and save that file as a PDF, it will upload without error to your Click2Mail account.
3. Fastest turnaround time. Not only are postcards easy to design, they're quick to print and mail. That means fast results: you can expect a jump in sales shortly after mailing. Postcard orders placed by 8 p.m. ET are mailed the next business day. (And you can schedule your postcard mailings up to 180 days in advance, too!)
4. Easiest to read. People love mail. According to the USPS, 98% of people check their mail every single day, and 54% of them describe the process as a “real pleasure”. People especially love postcards because they require minimal effort to mentally process. Without an envelope to open, postcards enjoy a 100% read rate. In fact, postcard reading has shown a 3.9% year over year increase according to the USPS Household Diary. As a result, postcards can generate a higher response rate compared to envelope mailings.
5. Superior retention. Postcards take up so little physical space, people tend to hang on to them. USPS studies find that mail recipients will carry mail from room to room, leaving it in places where it’s likely to be seen and used. Look around: you’ll find postcards on office walls or the refrigerator door in the break room. Whether it’s an event reminder or a promotional offer, one postcard delivers multiple impressions.
6. Great for testing. Thanks to their fast production time and low mailing costs, postcards are the vehicle of choice for testing mailing lists, markets and messaging. Results can be quickly and accurately measured. Keeping it nimble, based on those results, your follow-up mailings can improve response rates.
Stay tuned for the rest of this seried. In the meantime, if you have any questions, give us a call at 866-665-2787 or email [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you!