If you have a product, service or special offer to promote, and you've decided that direct mail will be an effective way to send that message to your current and/or prospective customers, here's what to do next.
1. Define your customer. Things you should know about your customer include essential demographics (age, marital status, income group, etc.) as well as what motivates them to buy (price, quality, convenience, etc.).
2. Create, rent or buy a mailing list. Use the information in Step 1 to check that your mailing list is composed of high-quality prospects.
- If you're developing a list internally, merge/purge it to remove money-wasting outdated and duplicate addresses.
- Make sure that new prospects gained from inbound marketing channels (social media, website, etc.) are added to your mailing list.
- For targeting a specific geographic area, consider Every Door Direct Mail which puts your message in front of every single household for a great price.
3. Determine mailpiece content. Refine your message until it precisely matches the needs and wants of your target customer. Your product/service and why it's the best on the market.
- Promotional incentive, if any (introductory sale, coupon, gift with purchase, etc.).
- Call to action that tells customers exactly what to do next.
- Multiple response options (phone number, business hours, website address, locator map, social media icons).
- Credibility boosters if you're a new/little known business (testimonials, professional association logos).
- Tracking element (coupon code, QR code, unique landing page or phone number, etc.).
4. Design your mailpiece. In general, the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) strategy will work best. A short, in-their-face headline gets higher readership than a small, excessively wordy one. A single large photo grabs more attention than several small ones. If you're not confident in your design skills, Click2Mail offers easy-to-use templates as well as custom design services.
5. Analyze the results. Using the tracking device you chose in step 3, you can see exactly how successful your direct mail campaign was and calculate your return on investment. These numbers will guide you in creating an even more successful mailpiece next time.